According to Wikipedia, "Time-out is a form of behavioral modification that involves temporarily separating a person from an environment where unacceptable behavior has occurred." As adults, we get moody (ie, grumpy, snippy, attitudinal...), stressed, overwhelmed, etc. These are behaviors that are generally Un-Acceptable for/to the persons around you, especially the ones closest to you.
So, today, I am going to play the virtual Mother and "sentence" you to a Time Out, Mister/Ma'am...
For children, this means removing them from a pleasurable activity or environment, to give them time to "reflect" on what they have done to cause the consequence. For adults, this means to remove you from the environment/people/area that is causing your negative vibes.
Anyone who has read some of my blog material, and/or follows me on social media, knows how much I love the beach for its peace and tranquility. However, what I've discovered is that I don't need to and shouldn't wait for months at a time to take a long, and sometimes expensive, trip in order to take a time out. There are so many other ways to get that little necessary break. I have a few pointers/ideas for your Time Out sentence:
- Determine what brings YOU happiness/joy/peace, as this is different for different people. For me, I need/enjoy:
- a quiet place
- alone time
- beautiful scenery
- Block your calendar for the weekend
- don't allow anything/anyone to book up your schedule for you (something that I have a difficult time with myself)
- unless it's an emergency, don't convince yourself that you Need to do something else besides taking this Time For Yourself (synonymous with Time Out)
- Visit a hot spot in town in town (if you truly don't have a whole weekend to spare or you direly just need to "step outside of your world" for a moment)
- Take a weekend trip to someplace new
- Take a Time Out no less than once a month