Skip to main content

"Sticks and Stones..."

"... may break my bones... but Words will never hurt me..."



... but we knew even then as children that Words can/do, indeed hurt...

When was the last time you stood in your shower until your fingers were wrinkled, or in some other quiet place away from others, and cried or beat yourself up for allowing the cruel, stupid, negative opinions of others affect you? It's okay to admit it. I'll go first. The last time I did it was a few days ago. 

There is no weakness in recognizing an error of judgment. It's called self-evaluation and growth. We cannot be or do better without it. How do we grow from it? We take steps to distance/eliminate the negativity. Again, you say "how Christal?"
  • Do I walk away and never speak to that person again? Sometimes, it's necessary. You have to determine how important the relationship/connection is to you (ie. Is this person an incessant negative factor in your life? Is this person a close friend/family member?) Sometimes, total elimination from your life isn't necessary. However, limiting a person's access to you can decrease and even eliminate negative influence...
  • Recognize your own strength. The only person whose opinion of you that counts is Your Own!
  • Stop caring so much about what other's say about you or their opinions. I've read article after article and journal after journal that will say the same thing- people have a tendency to not only want to please others but also to not want to appear as a failure in others' eyes... NOW STOP! Get that expectation of pleasing everyone out of your brain, because you will NEVER please EveryOne!
  • Yes, it's easier said than done. How do you start? Practice, practice, practice... When faced with negative comments and/or lack of support, remind yourself that your goals, dreams, and aspirations are Your Own and no one elses.
  • BIG ONE HERE: Stop sharing your plans, dreams, goals, etc with everyone! Everyone that smiles in your face and injects themselves into your life is not there to cheer you on, support you and/or believe in you.


I will never forget the feeling of seeing my mother (I didn't know she was coming) at the top of that hill, during one of my college cross country meets. My mind was telling me that I was tired, but when I saw her screaming "You can do it Chriiiiiis!" I was re-energized. Was it that day, that I ran a 17 min 5k? I can't be certain, but what I can't and won't ever forget is what it felt like to see her and then hear my grandmother, still at least a mile away, screaming my name... The Power in encouraging words...

While we shouldn't depend on others to lift us up, it helps. At the same time, negativity and condescension can also bring us down, if we let it. With this in mind, we should not only practice positive Self-talk, but we should also keep in mind the things we say to others...

Having a support system is a wonderful thing. It should be comprised of persons that remind you of your internal strength and ability to survive and overcome, regardless of what others say, do or think. If you don't have a solid support system, another option is to speak to someone such as myself (a qualified skills trainer/mental health professional), who can assist you with recognizing your strengths and learning  how to practice self-empowerment.

As always, I leave you your passionately driven ChristalNicole

Contact me today, for consulting and speaking engagements.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Ok to Say "Yes" to You...

Everyday, you go to work, whether it's at home or a long commute. You take care of your business. You take care of your family, from your parents, siblings, children and/or grandchildren. Everyone seems to get your attention, except you... Your body aches, from hours of working, tension from stress, and you can't think of the last time you had a peaceful night of rest. Your mind is constantly filled with a list of tasks, none of which include a moment for you. You're tired, but someone else has asked you to assist with a project, and/or you need to meal prep for the week for your family. You only go to the doctor, when you're making an appointment for someone else, once you've finished being both nurse and doctor to your loved ones. STOP!!! You can't go on like this! It's time to take care of yourself too. Why? Well, let's see: Decrease stress, which will also lead to, A healthier life/lifestyle (physical and mental) A sense of life fulfillment, includin

Put Yourself In Time Out...

There's just something about koi ponds that makes me feel relaxed and have a sense of peace. Places such as this provide me with a nice little break from stressors and quiet time to calm the storm that is incessantly present in my brain... A Time Out According to Wikipedia, "Time-out is a form of behavioral modification that involves temporarily separating a person from an environment where unacceptable behavior has occurred." As adults, we get moody (ie, grumpy, snippy, attitudinal...), stressed, overwhelmed, etc. These are behaviors that are generally Un-Acceptable for/to the persons around you, especially the ones closest to you. So, today, I am going to play the virtual Mother and "sentence" you to a Time Out, Mister/Ma'am... For children, this means removing them from a pleasurable activity or environment, to give them time to "reflect" on what they have done to cause the consequence. For adults, this means to remove you from the en

Reflecting to Reflect...

The dictionary defines a reflection as "the throwing back by a body or surface of light, heat, or sound without absorbing it...." or a "serious thought or consideration"...... I have a tendency to be a "deep" thinker (hard to believe, I know) and sometimes even over-analytical (another shocker, right?). Anyway, while conversing with someone earlier this week, we began to discuss my goals and aspirations for my image consulting business. I elaborated on the details of what a complete "image" is. By definition (Ms. Literal here), an image is "a representation of the external form of a person or thing..." I believe that the image is formed not only by what we dress the external in but what exudes from the inside. While discussing this, I began to "reflect" on my purpose and how my actions are not just a reflection of me but also the principles, morals and standards which I claim to represent. Ever wondered &q